The Vanity Calamity

Cosmetics, Bath&Body, Skincare, Nail design...no beauty-topic is off limits here at the Vanity Calamity, my personal blog dedicated to all things beauty related. From product reviews, tips, and tutorials, I hope you can find something here that keeps you coming back for more! Any Questions or comments? Please feel free to contact me!

Monday, March 9, 2009

cleaning brushes

Almost daily, during my makeup routine, I use at least 4-5 makeup brushes on my face. There's the foundation brush, the eyeshadow brush, eyeliner brush, the concealer brush, and the blush/bronzer brush. And that's on days when I don't do my eyeshadow to the fullest extent. Then, I would use another blending and contouring brush for detail. Needless to say, I have the need to wash my brushes weekly to prevent any bacteria or grime from building up on the bristles. The great thing about taking great care of your brushes, is that it's not time consuming. All you need is a few minutes and some water and baby shampoo and you got yourself an easy and inexpensive way to keep your brushes looking and working their best.

What you'll need:

Baby shampoo ( I use J&J Baby Shampoo in Original scent)
Warm Water
Towel

What to do:

1. Dampen brush bristles with warm water and apply 1/2 tsp of shampoo.
2. Work into a rich later and rinse.
3. Repeat step 2 until water runs clear after each wash. This is the part where all the excess makeup residue gets off your bristles! You can see it in your sink....
4. Gently pat dry with towel enough so that bristles aren't dripping with water.
5. Lay flat on towel overnight or until dry. Make sure not to allow the brushes to dry upright or the water will run downward and collect in the ferrule (the metal encasing the base of the bristles) and loosen them over time....not good!

With these steps, I have helped prevent bacteria and grime from residing in my brushes. I evict them weekly with this easy, inexpensive, and effective cleaning!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home